Wereys report - February 2017

Wereys report February 2017

Our EH O45 Cup run continued after Christmas with a second round match against Taunton Vale at home on 22nd January. It became obvious that the weather (frost) was going to be against us playing at our home ground of UWE so after a frantic phone around the night before we managed to move the match to Priory School, Weston, thanks to Ness.

The match started evenly as both sides were adjusting to the pitch and level of the opposition. Wereys started slowly and found themselves pressurised by a good Taunton side. We started to get into our rhythm and found ourselves up at half time. The second half was a different game altogether and we dominated play. The goals flowed in the second half and we ended up being comfortable 5-0 winners earning a quarter final against Kettering, last year’s runners up.

Our quarter final match was a home game at Redmaids School on 12th February. Despite being apprehensive at the start of the game we started well and put pressure on the opposition. Elaine finished off a good attacking move to open the scoring – Wereys up 1-0. Kettering soon found their feet and attacked strongly down the right. They managed to win a couple of short corners and scored off the first despite some nifty handling by Sally on the line(lucky not to get carded) and the second resulted a penalty stroke(nice footwork from Sally) which was converted to Chris’s right – Kettering 2 Wereys 1 at half time. A stern talking to the team at half time resulted in Wereys coming out strongly and dominating the first 20 minutes of the second half. The goal of the season came from a penetrating long ball from Mitch into the circle by-passing everyone except Heidi who picked the ball up on the left post and slotted it home – Wereys 2 Kettering 2. This goal inspired the team to play their usual passing and moving hockey and a couple of neat moves by Sharron beating the GK twice made the score line a little more comfortable – Wereys 4 Kettering 2. This prompted the opposition to up their game and we were pressurised, conceding a goal at the near post from a cross into the D – Wereys 4 Kettering 3. The last 5 minutes of the game were quite tense with both sides desperate to win to progress in the competition. Kettering pressed and won a short corner as the final whistle was blown. Wereys defended this corner well and when the ball was cleared a very relieved team was delighted to have won a very close and well fought match.

Semi-finals here we come!